Hebeloma crustuliniforme (Bulliard) Fries has long been considered a poisonous mushroom both in Europe1 and in America,2 but the toxicity of the American member of the species has been a matter of doubt.3 A careful search of the literature has revealed no case of poisoning by ingestion of this mushroom in America. Experimentally, Ford4 has shown that "it contained a small amount of hemolysin, no agglutinin, and had no demonstrable toxic action on rabbits, guinea-pigs, or on the exposed frog's heart."
REPORT OF CASES
On Oct. 26, 1926, a Russian family of four, in Baltimore, partook of a supper consisting chiefly of a mushroom stew. The mushrooms had been gathered by the father on the afternoon of the previous day on the outskirts of the city and were supplemented with market vegetables. The family had been in the habit of obtaining an occasional mushroom supper in
PRICE HW. MUSHROOM POISONING DUE TO HEBELOMA CRUSTULINIFORME: REPORT OF FOUR CASES. Am J Dis Child. 1927;34(3):441–442. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1927.04130210116013
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: