[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 34.204.203.142. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Case Reports
July 1930

OPEN SAFETY-PIN SWALLOWED BY A TEN MONTHS OLD INFANT: PASSED SPONTANEOUSLY PER VIAS NATURALES

Am J Dis Child. 1930;40(1):96-100. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1930.01940010107010
Abstract

L. B., a boy, aged 10½ months, swallowed a small brass safety-pin at about 8 a. m. on Dec. 21, 1929. The mother telephoned to one of us (I. H. T.), saying that the baby had swallowed either a small safety-pin or a part of a tinker toy. The mother was instructed to take the child to the office that afternoon in order that a fluoroscopic examination could be made. The examination showed an open safety-pin in the fundus of the stomach. The infant was sent to Michael Reese Hospital in order to have a roentgenogram taken.

The child entered the hospital at 6: 50 p. m., and a roentgenogram was taken at once and promptly developed (fig. 1). This showed that the pin had already passed through the stomach, had traversed a portion of the jejunum and lay in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen. Dr. D. C.

×