FAILURE of knowledge of a specific antidote for boric acid has made dangerous the use of a drug once considered innocent. Ease of preparation, availability at low cost and a false sense of bacteriostatic properties have made it a popular antiseptic. However, the literature contains many reports of its toxic qualities, and the report which follows is that of a fatal case of boric acid poisoning due to accidental ingestion.
REPORT OF A CASE
History.—M. S., aged 11 days, a white girl, entered the hospital on April 8, 1947. On the day prior to admission she was accidentally given 2 ounces of a 5 per cent solution of boric acid. Immediately after ingestion the infant regurgitated, and about two hours later she was given another ounce of the solution. She again regurgitated, and after that time retained only one feeding. The emesis continued until the night of April 9,
GRANT RS, WEGNER ES. FATAL CASE OF BORIC ACID POISONING. Am J Dis Child. 1948;75(6):910–912. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1948.02030020928011
Coronavirus Resource Center
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: