[Skip to Navigation]
Other Articles
April 1950


Author Affiliations

From the Departments of Radiology and Pediatrics, University of Louisville School of Medicine, Louisville General Hospital and Children's Hospital.

Am J Dis Child. 1950;79(4):623-632. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1950.04040010638002

KEROSENE is a variable hydrocarbon complex derived from petroleum and is used for heating and lighting purposes, chiefly in the rural areas. It is frequently left carelessly about the house in open cans, bottles and other containers in reach of children who may find them and attempt to drink the contents.1

Kerosene ingestion may be followed by (1) acute toxicity with depression, (2) severe pneumonia with fever or (3) severe pneumonia with degenerative changes in the liver, kidneys, lungs and heart.2

In a four year study at the Louisville General Hospital, children with kerosene pneumonia represented 1.4 per cent of all patients in the pediatric age group discharged with the diagnosis of pneumonia. The purpose of this paper is to report on a series of 25 unselected patients studied clinically and roentgenographically during a four year period, with follow-up studies from six months to four years after the

Add or change institution