Control of childhood asthma can be achieved in approximately 90% of the patients who are presented for treatment. These results transcend those obtained in the therapy of most other chronic diseases. Yet, for the practitioner the intractable asthmatic children who comprise the remaining 10% present a most difficult medicosociopsychological problem. Because of the relatively high incidence of asthma in the United States, the parents of these children compose a substantial group of people who are often voluble and vociferous in condemnation of the failure of the established methods of therapy as they pertain to their child. Their discouragement becomes infectious and has been known to halt other parents from continuing to seek help for a child until emphysema and fibrosis has supervened. Such a child readily falls a prey to quack nostrums and/or wanders about the country in search of the "magic climate" or the "magic pill."
As a result
TUFT HS. The Development and Management of Intractable Asthma of Childhood. AMA Am J Dis Child. 1957;93(3):251–254. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1957.02060040253009
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.