[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 34.204.191.0. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Article
July 1962

The Emergency Clinic: A Study of Its Role in a Teaching Hospital

Author Affiliations

BOSTON
Robert J. Haggerty, M.D., Children's Hospital, 300 Longwood Ave., Boston 15.; From the Medical Service of the Children's Hospital Medical Center and the Department of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School.; Formerly Junior Assistant Resident in Medicine, Children's Hospital Medical Center (Dr. Bergman); Physician (Chief, Child Health Division), Children's Hospital Medical Center; Associate in Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School (Dr. Haggerty).

Am J Dis Child. 1962;104(1):36-44. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1962.02080030038006
Abstract

In the last decade hospitals have been forced to re-examine their emergency clinics because increasing numbers of patients are using such facilities. In most hospitals today the traditional concept of the emergency room, as a receiving ward for accidentally injured and critically ill patients, no longer holds. Indeed, emergency clinics in most hospitals could more properly be called dispensaries, or ambulatory clinics, dealing as they do with relatively very few cases that could not be adequately treated in the practitioner's office. Shortliffe et al.1 found an average increase of 400% in emergency room visits in the 15-year period, 1940 to 1955, in 90 United States hospitals. The Hartford Hospital saw its annual emergency room load increase from 3,000 in 1944 to just under 18,000 in 1955. Likewise, emergency room visits at the Beth Israel Hospital in Boston increased from 5,500 in 1951 to 13,000 in 1959.2

The situation appears to

×