This article is only available in the PDF format. Download the PDF to view the article, as well as its associated figures and tables.
In Reply.—We appreciate the opportunity to respond to Dr Silverman's concerns. The primary conclusion of our study was that because the history of ingestion is unreliable in children, using maximum possible ingested dose of ethanol per kilogram of body weight as suggested by Dr Silverman cannot be a reliable predictor of toxicity. The children in our study who had blood ethanol concentrations measured had levels far below those predicted, and children who did not have levels measured remained asymptomatic despite having predicted levels in the extremely toxic range. Our study therefore concluded that symptoms, and not histories, should guide poison centers and clinicians in determining which children should go to a health care facility.
The concept of "lethal dose" requires clarification. No amount of ethanol ingested by a child should be a lethal dose if aggressive supportive therapy is administered in a timely manner. Our study tried instead to
SCHERGER D, WRUK KM, KULIG KW, RUMACK BH. Perfumes Possibly Perilous to Pediatric Patients-Reply. Am J Dis Child. 1990;144(1):15. doi:10.1001/archpedi.1990.02150250017009
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: