About JAMA Pediatrics
Frederick P. Rivara, MD, MPH
JAMA Pediatrics is an international peer-reviewed journal and is the oldest continuously published pediatric journal in the United States, dating back to 1911. JAMA Pediatrics is a member of The JAMA Network family of journals, which includes JAMA and 11 specialty journals.
Journal Frequency and Access. JAMA Pediatrics is published online weekly, every Monday, and in 12 print/online issues per year. The journal receives approximately 2.2 million online visits annually, with 3.2 million article views and downloads. Without any author fees, all research articles are made free access online 12 months after publication on the website. All articles are made free access on an html app called The JAMA Network Reader on the day of publication. In addition, the online version is freely available or nearly so to institutions in developing countries through the World Health Organization's HINARI program.
Editorial Information. The journal is highly selective with an overall acceptance rate of 12% and 6% for research articles. The median time to first editorial decision is 1 day, and 40 days with review. The median time from submission to acceptance (including time for author revision) is 9 weeks and 11 weeks or less from acceptance to publication. The journal's Impact factor is 10.25, the highest-ranking pediatric journal in the world. For more information on the types of articles published and editorial policies, see the journal's Instructions for Authors.
Editorial Team. The editor of JAMA Pediatrics is Frederick P. Rivara, MD, MPH, the Seattle Children's Guild Endowed Chair in Pediatrics and Professor of Pediatrics at the University of Washington, Seattle. For a complete listing of the journal's Editors and Editorial Board, see link to Editors and Publishers below.
JAMA Pediatrics Vision: JAMA Pediatrics will be the most respected source of information for investigators, providers, and policy makers seeking the highest-quality evidence to guide decision making.
Mission Statement: JAMA Pediatrics seeks to provide state-of-the-art information to individuals and organizations working to advance the health and well-being of infants, children, and adolescents. The Journal also provides a forum for discussion of the most important issues and policies affecting child and adolescent health and health care. JAMA Pediatrics will use the most current technology to make timely information available to readers wherever and whenever it is needed.
ISSN 2168-6203 (Print)
ISSN 2168-6211 (Online)
Back to top
Why Publish in JAMA Pediatrics?
JAMA Pediatrics, established in 1911, and the oldest pediatric journal in the world, publishes innovative, clinically relevant research on the health of children and adolescents.
Impact and Reach
- Impact Factor of 10.25, the highest-ranking pediatric journal in the world
- Over 2.2 million annual visits to the JAMA Pediatrics website; and 3.2 million annual article views and downloads
- International authors: 45% of submissions come from outside the United States
- Extensive press coverage, with 16,388 media mentions in 2016 in outlets such as The New York Times, The Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times
- Top Altmetric scores among pediatric journals—JAMA Pediatrics has 10 of the top 50 articles with Altmetric scores (measure of news and social media coverage), including the No. 1 article
- Number of citations, Altmetric score, page views, and PDF downloads tracked for your published article
- Broad reach through author audio interviews, editor podcasts, email alerts, Twitter, and Facebook
- Free public access via the JAMA Network Reader, an app that integrates content across the entire JAMA Network of journals and is accessible from any device
Prompt Decisions and Rapid Publication Timelines
- Highly selective peer review and editorial evaluation, with a 6% acceptance rate for research articles
- Median time to first decision: 1 day; 40 days with review
- Median time from submission to acceptance: 9 weeks including review and revision
- Acceptance to publication: As quickly as 11 weeks or less
- Online First publication of all articles
JAMA Pediatrics offers unparalleled reach and an author-friendly approach, from manuscript submission through publication.
- User-friendly manuscript submission system and process
- Prompt, expert review and consideration from our experienced editors
- Highest standards followed to improve your accepted manuscript's accuracy, reliability, and readability
- CME credit available for lead authors who publish in JAMA Pediatrics
- Opportunity for your work to be augmented with video, audio, and professional graphics and illustrations
- Free public access: All articles are freely available on the day of publication on The JAMA Network Reader; research articles are free 12 months after publication on the journal's website
- Open access: Authors of research articles may elect to pay for immediate open access on the day of publication
- Direct deposit to PubMed Central: All research articles deposited directly in PubMedCentral (PMC) for authors
- Online extras: Ability to post supplemental content online and download your article's tables and figures as PowerPoint slides
- The JAMA Network advantage: Authors of papers not accepted by JAMA may have their papers automatically referred to JAMA Pediatrics
- Dedicated media team to promote your article to the news media and on social media
For more information, see JAMA Pediatrics Instructions for Authors. Submit your manuscript at https://manuscripts.jamapeds.com.
Back to top
Updated June 2017