[Skip to Navigation]
Sign In
Views 709
Citations 0
Comment & Response
December 11, 2019

Routine Esophagram for Detecting Anastomotic Leak After Esophagectomy

Author Affiliations
  • 1Montreal General Hospital, Division of Thoracic Surgery, McGill University Health Centre, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
  • 2Montreal General Hospital, Department of Surgery, McGill University, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
JAMA Surg. 2020;155(3):266. doi:10.1001/jamasurg.2019.4931

To the Editor It is with great interest that we reviewed the study by Haisley et al1 relating to the importance of early detection of anastomotic leak (AL). During the study period, 227 patients underwent esophagectomy, of whom 22 experienced AL. Of these, 32% were identified by routine contrast esophagram (CE), and the remaining 68% were identified clinically after normal CE. The authors report a shorter length of stay (LOS; 18 vs 29 days) and lower hospital cost ($149 764 vs $228 816) in patients with AL detected by CE.1

Add or change institution
Limit 200 characters
Limit 25 characters
Conflicts of Interest Disclosure

Identify all potential conflicts of interest that might be relevant to your comment.

Conflicts of interest comprise financial interests, activities, and relationships within the past 3 years including but not limited to employment, affiliation, grants or funding, consultancies, honoraria or payment, speaker's bureaus, stock ownership or options, expert testimony, royalties, donation of medical equipment, or patents planned, pending, or issued.

Err on the side of full disclosure.

If you have no conflicts of interest, check "No potential conflicts of interest" in the box below. The information will be posted with your response.

Not all submitted comments are published. Please see our commenting policy for details.

Limit 140 characters
Limit 3600 characters or approximately 600 words
    ×