I. Introduction. Surgical procedures additional to climatic-hygienic regimen in chronic inflammatory conditions of one lung (tuberculosis).
II. Clinical data.
A. Eradicating procedures (pneumectomy).
B. Supplementary procedures, putting the lung to a rest by indirect action.
1. Artificial pneumothorax.
2. Pneumolysis and plombierung.
3. Extrapleural thoracoplasty; paravertebral method (Sauerbruch); scapulo-paravertebral method (Brauer).
C. Anatomy and physiology of the lungs following these procedures.
D. Supplementary procedures, acting directly on the lung.
1. Ligation of the pulmonary artery. Report of cases.
2. Plugging of the main bronchus.
3. Partial occlusion of the pulmonary veins.
4. Ligation of the bronchial artery.
5. Auxiliary procedures to 1-3.
(a) Extrapleural thoracoplasty.
(d) Resection of intercostal nerves.
III. Experimental data.
A. Rabbit series.
1. Anatomic data.
2. Technic of operation.
3. Postoperative course.
4. Protocols—summary of findings.
B. Dog series.
Technic of operation.
(a) Ligation of the pulmonary
KARL SCHLAEPFER. LIGATION OF THE PULMONARY ARTERY OF ONE LUNG WITH AND WITHOUT RESECTION OF THE PHRENIC NERVEEXPERIMENTAL STUDY. Arch Surg. 1924;9(1):25–94. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1924.01120070028003