Growth of Bone.
—Very little was added to knowledge of this subject during the year 1946. Armstrong684 reports experimental work on rats in which one limb is completely denervated; at maturity the animal is killed, and the limbs are compared. As a result of his work, Armstrong concludes that paralysis of a limb interferes with appositional growth of bones more than with epiphysial growth, and that growth of bone is not prevented in the denervated limb.
—Of several reports, that of Newman685 is most valuable. Eighty-two cases are described. In only 48 per cent did the patients have complaints referable to osteitis deformans (Paget's disease); in the remaining 52 per cent the disease was an incidental finding. The pelvis was involved in the majority of cases, and in 12 only one bony structure was affected. Serum calcium and phosphorus determinations revealed little variation from normal. The
SIEGLING JA. PROGRESS IN ORTHOPEDIC SURGERY FOR 1946 A Review Prepared by an Editorial Board of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons: XIV. DISEASES OF GROWING AND ADULT BONE. Arch Surg. 1949;58(4):541–546. doi:https://doi.org/10.1001/archsurg.1949.01240030549014
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: