The leiomyoma is the commonest benign tumor of the small intestine; about 80% occur with equal frequency in the jejunum and ileum and the remaining 20% in the duodenum. Rarely the appendix and Meckel's diverticulum are primary sites.1
It is important to recognize and to treat smooth-muscle tumors early because of their tendency to bleed, to undergo malignant change, and, in certain instances, to obstruct the lumen of the intestine. The following case of a leiomyoma of the duodenum is reported because of the unusual location of the tumor, the massive hemorrhage which the tumor produced, and the problems the patient presented in blood replacement.
Report of Case
A 42-year-old woman was admitted to the hospital on Feb. 1, 1957, with the complaint of weakness. She had had a placenta previa but delivered a normal child five months before her present admission to the hospital. Before and after delivery
SAWYER KC, SAWYER KC, ROBB WC. Leiomyoma of the Duodenum: Report of a Case. AMA Arch Surg. 1958;77(1):22–25. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1958.01290010024005
Browse and subscribe to JAMA Network podcasts!
Customize your JAMA Network experience by selecting one or more topics from the list below.
Create a personal account or sign in to: