SINCE 1948, 50 infants with various types of neonatal intestinal obstuction have been treated at the University of Oklahoma Medical Center (Table). The types of obstruction encountered were: congenital atresia of the intestine and colon, congenital stenosis of the intestine, meconium ileus, malrotation of the intestine and colon, congenital megacolon, and imperforate anus. Obstructions of the esophagus and pyloric stenosis are not considered in this paper. There were no cases of annular pancreas. Only 10% of the patients were born in the immediate area of the Medical Center. The remaining 90% were referred from principally rural areas up to 200 miles away.
Congenital Atresia of the Intestine and Colon
The first successful treatment of this condition was reported in 1911. Since then numerous reports of successful treatment have appeared in the literature.1-4 In this report diaphragms causing obstruction are considered as a type of atresia. Nearly all infants in
LeRoy Long. Intestinal Obstruction in the NewbornReview of 50 Cases. Arch Surg. 1967;94(4):443–449. doi:10.1001/archsurg.1967.01330100007002