[Skip to Content]
Access to paid content on this site is currently suspended due to excessive activity being detected from your IP address 34.239.150.22. Please contact the publisher to request reinstatement.
[Skip to Content Landing]
Citations 0
Special Feature
November 2001

Image of the Month

Author Affiliations

From the Department of Surgery, William Beaumont Army Medical Center, El Paso, Tex.

 

GRACE S.ROZYCKIMD

Arch Surg. 2001;136(11):1325-1326. doi:

If such a dreamy touch should fall, O turn thee round, resolve the doubt; My guardian angel will speak out In that high place, and tell thee all.—Alfred Lord Tennyson

A 13-MONTH-OLD boy was brought to the emergency department by his parents within 1 hour of an acute choking episode at home. He was suspected of having swallowed a small guardian angel pin now missing from his mother's clothing. The otherwise healthy child was crying, drooling, and appeared to be in mild discomfort. He demonstrated clear breath sounds bilaterally without wheezing or stridor. His oxygen saturation remained 98% on room air. Posteroanterior (Figure 1) and lateral radiographs were obtained.

×